Mobile Fab Lab
During the 2017-2018 school year, we worked with our educational foundation, local business owners, parents, and even school board members to create our first mobile Fab Lab! A Fab Lab is a place where students can create something from design to fabrication. Fab Lab is short for Fabrication Laboratory.
Through gracious donations, we are planning to bring in-depth digital fabrication to our elementary schools. Using various machines, our students will be provided with opportunities to continue to be active participants in the maker movement that is defining their generation.
It is our hope to deliver engaging lessons which use digital fabrication to integrate STEAM competencies into authentic making experiences for learners of all levels. Through formal and informal educational experiences, our students will have equitable access to transformative and inspiring learning experiences.
At school or at athletic and community events, students and community members will see their digital creations come to life in a physical form.
Some of the skill sets students will learn include:
- Using 2D design software and the laser cutter, explore the mathematics behind designing strong joints to use in your Fab Lab projects.
- Use a laser engraver to safely cut and etch personal designs more advanced techniques can be explored to learn how to use rotary attachments to etch on glass and painted metal surfaces.
- Learn how to use free 2D design software to create three-dimensional projects to be cut on the laser.
- Learn basic soldering techniques and skills and how to solder a basic LED circuit.
- Learn to design and print on 3D printers and explore the technology of 3D printing using a 3D printing pen.
- Learn to use the computer controlled vinyl cutter.
Check out our video below to learn more about our journey and some of the adventures that we've already taken!