BWSD Board Goals
Pillar 1: Student Growth and High Academic Achievement
● Support students and teachers in the classroom.
► Determine which students need supplemental instructions and/or assignments.
► Create an environment where students who fell behind academically due to the pandemic are comfortable and encouraged to seek assistance.
► Continue to support Administration’s organizational structure to best serve the District.
► Continue to implement the District’s COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan.
● Continue to improve remote learning plans for our Cyber Academy and related technology.
► Continue to grow our full remote learning plan for all students in the event that building closures are warranted due to the pandemic or weather.
► Support changes to the curriculum to continue to provide more choices and relevance for the students.
► Encourage teachers to improve online instruction and classroom methodologies.
● Maintain extracurricular activities and athletics in accordance with the District’s Health and Safety Plan.
► Require attendees and participants to adhere to the District’s Health and Safety Plan.
► Maintain communication with the Allegheny Health Department, Pennsylvania Department of Health, PIAA, WPIAL, and other local school districts.
Pillar 2: Optimal District Functioning During Temporary Reorganization due to R. A. Lutz Elementary School Construction
● Stay apprised of the construction and reorganization processes and discuss issues promptly as they arise.
► Consider all potential alternatives when planning projects, construction, and reorganization projects.
► Provide fiscal oversight of all aspects of the construction.
● Continue to work with Administration to ensure that all affected schools operate at the same high levels as prior to reorganization.
► Maintain planned curriculum for all Paynter Elementary School and middle school students.
► Support necessary changes to bus routing, school start times, athletics, activities, and other logistics.
► Continue to work with Administration to deal with any concerns of faculty, staff, and the community.
► Continue to consider student safety and security when developing all reorganization plans.
● Plan for new District operations upon the completion of construction.
► Continue to seek input from faculty, staff, and the community.
► Develop a blueprint for the operation of each school and accompanying transportation plan.
► Continue to consider the increasing District population and students’ needs.
Pillar 3: Communication & Community Relations
● Strengthen relationships with the staff and members of the community, clearly articulating District goals and priorities, addressing local and broader issues affecting the District, and building support for District initiatives, programs, and goals.
► Invite teachers and staff to participate in Board meetings for recognition, awards, and commendations.
► Plan meet and greets and other public relation opportunities to promote a unified District and to let the staff know they are appreciated and supported.
● Continue to improve public relations and marketing plans to engage all stakeholders.
► Continue to explore ways to involve more of the community with the District once the pandemic ends.
► Provide time during monthly meetings to have updates on the District communication plan and to highlight District programs and accomplishments.
► Encourage community participation at School Board meetings.
● Student School Board Representatives to provide specific monthly updates to the Board regarding Baldwin High School student life, athletics, and other news, and report Board and District news back to Baldwin High School students, faculty, and staff. Student representatives should also routinely update the Board with noteworthy items regarding the Harrison Education Center, the McAnnulty Elementary School, and the Whitehall Elementary School.
● Timely and accurately report to the public COVID-19 rates in District buildings.
Pillar 4: Operations & Financial Management
● Oversee the R. A. Lutz Elementary School construction project to ensure fiscal responsibility.
► Carefully review all proposals, estimates, bills, and invoices.
► Seek detailed monthly updates on construction status costs.
► Address community concerns for those residents living near the construction site.
● Continue to maintain District operations that provide all appropriate student, faculty, and staff resources in the most fiscally responsible manner as possible.
► Consider taxpayer burden when making all planning decisions that could require additional revenue.
► Look for alternatives to tax increases when possible.
● Support the human resource management and oversight department to recruit, develop, support, and retain outstanding personnel across the School District.
► Work with the Administration to provide fair, but fiscally responsible, contracts.
● Continue to work with the Director of Safety and Security to develop and implement practices that maintain the safest possible environment for students, faculty, and staff.
● Support the completion of activities associated with the annual budget with an emphasis on distribution of resources and directing the overall operational activities in support of the District’s core mission of student growth and high academic achievement.
► Seek board member input during the budget preparation process, when appropriate.
► Continue to evaluate the needs of the District with regard to positions and personnel.
● Continue to maintain fiscal accountability through responsible budgetary decisions while moving forward to improve learning spaces and updating of facilities.
► Explore ways to use District finances in better ways to meet the needs of today’s learner.
► Explore additional sources of revenue including grants.