BWSD Board Goals
Pillar 1: Student Growth and High Academic Achievement
· Support the development and implement a comprehensive plan that establishes a clear vision of student growth and achievement as the top priority of the School Board.
Maintain the “Dare to . . .” theme throughout the district. (see Pillar 5)
Continue to advance the technology program.
Follow the new comprehensive plan to set future goals.
Continue to feature students and staff during school board meetings to help motivate them to reach higher goals.
Continue to support Administration’s organizational structure to best serve the District.
· Continue to provide learning that addresses the needs of the 21st century learner through advancing transformational learning and innovation.
Support the changes of flexible learning spaces.
Support changes to the curriculum to continue to provide more choices to students.
Pillar 2: Optimal District Functioning During Temporary Reorganization due to Paynter Elementary School Construction
· Stay apprised of the construction and reorganization processes, and discuss issues promptly as they arise.
Consider all potential alternatives when planning projects, construction, and reorganization projects.
· Continue to work with Administration to ensure that all affected schools operate at the same high levels as prior to reorganization.
Maintain planned curriculum for all Paynter Elementary School and Harrison Middle School students.
Support necessary changes to bus routing, school start times, athletics, activities, and other logistics.
Continue to work with Administration to deal with any concerns of faculty, staff, and the community.
Continue to consider student safety and security when developing all reorganization plans.
· Plan for new District operations upon the completion of construction.
Continue to seek input from faculty, staff, and community.
Develop a blueprint for the operation of each school and accompanying transportation plan.
Continue to consider the increasing District population and student needs.
Pillar 3: Communication & Community Relations
· Strengthen relationships with the staff and members of the community, clearly articulating District goals and priorities, addressing local and broader issues affecting the District, and building support for District initiatives, programs, and goals.
Be visible to staff to show support for their work.
Continue meet and greets and other public relation opportunities to provide a unified District.
· Continue to improve public relations and marketing plans to engage all stakeholders.
Continue to explore ways to involve more of the community with the District.
Provide time during monthly meetings to have updates on the District communication plan and to highlight District programs and accomplishments.
Encourage community participation at School Board meetings.
· Student School Board Representatives to provide more specific monthly updates to the Board regarding Baldwin High School student life, athletics, and other happenings, and report Board and District news back to Baldwin High School students, faculty, and staff.
Pillar 4: Operations & Financial Management
· Continue to maintain District operations that provide all appropriate student, faculty, and staff resources in the most fiscally responsible manner as possible.
Consider taxpayer burden when making all planning decisions that could require additional revenue.
Look for alternatives to tax increases when possible.
· Support the human resource management and oversight department to recruit, develop, support, and retain outstanding personnel across the School District.
Work with the Administration to provide fair, but fiscally responsible, contracts.
· Continue to work with Director of Safety and Security to develop and implement practices that maintain the safest possible environment for students, faculty, and staff.
· Support the completion of activities associated with the annual budget with an emphasis on distribution of resources and directing the overall operational activities in support of the District’s core mission of student growth and high academic achievement.
Seek board member input during budget preparation process, when appropriate
Continue to evaluate the needs of the District with regard to positions and personnel.
· Continue to maintain fiscal accountability through responsible budgetary decisions while moving forward to improve learning spaces and updating of facilities.
Explore ways to use District finances in better ways to meet the needs of today’s learner.
Explore additional sources of revenue including grants.
Pillar 5: Support, Promote and Actively Engage in District Continuous Improvement Initiative (Dare To…)
· Support District-wide Continuous Initiative Program “Dare To…” that was created with the purpose of developing a culture where brave work, tough conversations, and whole hearts are the expectation.
· Promote initiative by highlighting successes and learnings in public forums including Board Meetings and other public events.
· Actively Engage in “Dare To…” program through the following:
Clarify our values, ensure that behaviors align with those values, teach people the skills to align with those values, and create a culture of accountability to those values.
Create trust by respecting boundaries, being reliable and accountable, not judging, paying attention, listening, genuine caring, asking what people need, and complete honesty.
Be willing to expose new ideas to public scrutiny, have honest conversations about difficult subjects, recognize that some things are worth doing even if we fail, and recognize the accomplishments.
Promote and encourage skill development that gives people the capacity to recover from, or adjust more easily to setbacks, failure, or change.