BWSD Board Goals
Pillar 1: Growth and Mastery – Student Progress
● Support students and teachers in the classroom.
►Continue to determine which students need supplemental instructions and/or assignments.
►Continue to provide an environment where students who fell behind academically due to the pandemic are comfortable and encouraged to seek assistance.
►Support Administration’ s organizational structure that best serves the District.
►Continue to implement the District’ s COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan as needed.
►Support the District’s plan to provide students with choices and opportunities to personalize their education through authentic, project-based learning experiences.
● Continue to improve remote learning plans for our Cyber Academy and related technology.
►Continue to grow our full remote learning plan for all students in the event that building closures are warranted due to the pandemic or weather.
►Support changes to the curriculum, as described in the Strategic Plan, to continue to provide more choices and relevance for the students.
►Continue to encourage teachers to improve online instruction and classroom methodologies.
● Maintain extracurricular activities and athletics in accordance with the District’s Health and Safety Plan.
►Require attendees and participants to adhere to the District ’s Health and Safety Plan.
►Maintain communication with the Allegheny Health Department Pennsylvania Department of Health, PIAA, WPIAL, and other local school districts.
Pillar 2: School Culture and Engagement
● Stay apprised of the construction and reorganization processes and discuss issues promptly as they arise.
►Consider all potential alternatives when planning projects, construction, and reorganization projects.
►Provide fiscal oversight of all aspects of the construction.
● Continue to work with Administration to ensure that all affected schools operate at the same high levels as prior to reorganization.
►Support the creation and organization of curricula and align resources to support the social-emotional growth of students, address cultural sensitivity, social justice, multiple perspectives, and representation.
►Support necessary changes to bus routing; school start construction, times, athletics, activities, and other logistics.
►Continue to work with Administration to deal with any concerns of faculty, staff, and the community.
►Continue to consider student safety and security when developing all reorganization plans.
►Develop practices that are responsive to the social-emotional growth of students.
● Plan for new District operations upon the completion of the new school
►Support the plan to develop authentic opportunities for students, staff, and parents to engage in diverse experiences.
►Develop a blueprint for the operation of each school and accompanying transportation plan.
►Continue to consider the increasing District population and students’ needs.
►Ensure that all students possess the knowledge, skills, and habits to be safe and socially responsible consumers and producers of digital information and ideas.
Pillar 3: Community Partnerships and Engagement
● Strengthen relationships with the staff and members of the community, clearly articulating the District’s goals and priorities, addressing local and broader issues affecting the District, and building support for the District’s initiatives, programs, and goals.
►Continue to invite teachers and staff to participate in Board meetings for recognition, awards, and commendations.
►Plan meet and greets and other public relation opportunities to promote a unified District and to let the staff know they are appreciated and supported.
►Continue to improve public relations and marketing plans to engage all stakeholders.
►Continue to explore ways to involve more of the community with the District once the pandemic ends.
►Provide time during monthly meetings to have updates on the District’s communication plan and to highlight the District’s programs and accomplishments.
►Provide additional ways for the public to access information so that the community understands their schools and knows how to be engaged in positive and productive ways.
● Student School Board Representatives to continue to provide specific monthly updates to the Board regarding Baldwin High School student life, athletics, and other news, and report Board and District news back to the Baldwin High School students, faculty, and staff. Student representatives should also routinely update the Board with noteworthy items regarding the Harrison Education Center, the McAnnulty Elementary School, and the Whitehall Elementary School.
● Foster supportive relationships that place an emphasis on opportunity, equality, and acceptance.
Pillar 4: District Organization, Growth and Capacities
● Oversee the R. A. Lutz Elementary School construction project to ensure fiscal responsibility.
►Explore alternatives and enhancements to the traditional use of time and space to promote learning in creative and collaborative spaces and have the time to dive deeper.
►Carefully review all proposals, estimates, bills, and invoices.
►Support the implementation of a plan to develop appropriate facilities for the creation of grade-level centers at the elementary level.
►Seek detailed monthly updates on construction status costs.
►Continue to maintain the District’s operations that provide all appropriate student, faculty, and staff resources in the most fiscally responsible manner as possible.
►Support the re-establishment of secondary programming and organization with a focus on expanded learning opportunities that address the needs of the future-focused learner.
►Consider taxpayer burden when making all planning decisions that could require additional revenue.
►Look for alternatives to tax increases when possible.
►Support the human resource management and oversight department to recruit, develop, support, and retain outstanding personnel across the School District.
►Continue to work with the Administration to provide fair, but fiscally responsible, contracts.
● Continue to work with the Director of Safety and Security to develop and implement practices that maintain the safest possible environment for students, faculty, and staff.
● Support the completion of activities associated with the annual budget with an emphasis on distribution of resources and directing the overall operational activities in support of the District’s core mission of student growth and high academic achievement.
►Provide board member input during the budget preparation process, when appropriate.
►Continue to evaluate the needs of the District with regard to positions and personnel.
● Continue to maintain fiscal accountability through responsible budgetary decisions while moving forward to improve learning spaces and updating of facilities.
►Explore ways to use the District’s finances in better ways to meet the needs of today’s learner.
►Explore additional sources of revenue including grants.